1. Eat more fruits and vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are packed with beneficial fibers, vitamins and antioxidants. They fill up your stomach fast so you feel full earlier. They are also low in calories and helps to keep your calorie count low. Fruits and vegetables are packed with beneficial fibers, vitamins and antioxidants. They fill up your stomach fast so you feel full earlier. They are also low in calories and helps to keep your calorie count low.
2. Small is beautiful : Eat small frequent meals
Eating small frequent meals help to balance your calorie intake throughout the day and also keeps your blood sugar level balanced. Instead of eating 3 big meals, try to eat 5 - 6 smaller meals throughout the day.
3. Do not cut down your favourites totally
Everyone has his or her favorite treats. Simply allow yourself a little indulgence, but watch out for the frequency and the quantity. Having a small treat once in a while can be rewarding to your weight loss experience. Cutting too much of your favorite treats usually lead to an early relapse.
4. Drink water when you feel like drinking a juice/soda
Juices, soda, cream & sugar in your coffee or tea all add up. Opt for drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. In addition to providing hydration to your body, it will also help you feel full.
5. Increase your water intake, it detoxifies without adding calories
Drink plenty of water. Our body needs a lot of water so give in to water. Water is not just way to flush out toxin but if you have more water in your body you will generally feel healthier and fitter. This itself will discourage any tendency to gorge. The best thing about water is that is has no calories at all.
6. Follow a balanced diet – do not starve, have variety from all food groups
Choose a variety of foods from all food groups every day. This is a fine way of keeping deficiency diseases at bay. Change the items included in your diet every day. This is an excellent way of keeping deficiency diseases at bay and it helps you to experiment with a variety of dishes and there by you do not get bored of your diet.
7. Break fast within an hour of waking
Try to have breakfast within one hour of waking. It’s always best to have breakfast within an hour of waking so that your body can charge itself with the energy it needs for the day. The idea is not to wait for your self to get really hungry. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but that does not mean that it should be the most filling meal of the day.
8. Outdoor exercises better than indoor
Exercise out doors as far as possible. There are two advantages of doing whatever you are doing out side. One advantage is that it gives your body a chance to get a lot of the much needed fresh air and sunshine. The second advantage is that the surroundings keep you perked up and it is a break form remaining cooped up all day long
9. Stand and stretch yourself every ½ hr if you have a sitting job
If you have a sitting job, stand up and stretch yourself every half an hour. Most of the jobs today are indeed sitting jobs that are in one word sedentary. This is especially true for those who sit and punch away at the keyboard or toy with the mouse all day long. So if you have such a job, make it a point to get up at least every half an hour and stretch your self.
10. Don’t worry be happy
As long as you do not have serious health problems and weight related issues, don’t worry, be very very happy. Do not feel guilty about being overweight. Some people are born overweight, some acquire weight in due course, some are slim from the beginning and suddenly put on weight. No medicine or concoction is going to reduce your weight overnight. It has to gradually go as it has gradually come. We notice it when some one tells us that you have become fat. So avoid worrying the moment they tell you and start looking for various methods to reduce your weight.
Ten manthras of mine to reduce weight
- Do things yourself. Do not expect others to do small petty jobs for you like bringing water, switching off the TV etc.
- Walk for 45 minutes everyday, If not possible continuously, split it into three 15 minutes.
- Sweep and swab the floor everyday, preferably in the morning.
- Do not crash diet with items you do not like, or which you will not relish, because very soon you will discontinue your dieting.
- Eat anything you want without guilt. But try to do some exercise to burn out the extra calories you gained.
- Never skip your breakfast. You will try to make up what you have not had in the lunch.
- Do not wear tight fitting clothes to make yourself feel that you are fat. Go for those dresses which will make you feel comfortable
- Do not glue yourself to the television watching serials. Instead go for a walk, clean the house, spend time with children or near and dear ones or go to the terrace and gaze the stars while walking.
- One day in a week, eat an oil free, ghee free diet. Eat boiled vegetables, salads, milk, fruits and porridge. Have fruits, instead of juice, have nuts instead of fries, have boiled vegetables instead of fried or gravy vegetables.
- Last but not the least, always look at yourself in the mirror and say that you are slim and beautiful, you'll become what you say.